Lancashire 2nd XI v Warwickshire 2nd XI, SE Championship

Warwickshire 381-9 dec. & 40-1 dec.

Lancashire 81-0 dec & 197-6

Match Drawn

Lancashire  9  points         Warwickshire  9  points

The opening day was restricted to just seventy overs, but after losing Umeed 4 in the sixth over, a partnership of 115, between Javid 51 and Evans in just twenty nine overs, gave the visitors the early initiative, as they looked to dominate the home attack.

A rain delay held up progress, but once play resumed, Evans, partnered now by Coleman, completed his century with seventeen fours and a six, before falling immediately after to Smith for 103. Lilley removed skipper Coleman 33 and Webb 15, before Mellor 33* and Thomason 11* took Warwickshire to stumps on 274-5.

On a breezy second morning, Mellor went without addition, but Thomason 47 with good lower order support from Jones 17, Hannon-Dalby 25* and Poysden 22 helped Warwickshire to a declaration in the ninety first over on 381-9.

In reply, Lancashire had reached 81-0 from twenty overs when rain that had brought a delay during the afternoon session, finally brought an early conclusion to the second day.

In an attempt to create a meaningful match, on the final morning, Lancashire declared their first innings on their overnight score and Warwickshire then batted for five overs against two occasional home bowlers, reaching 40-1 before declaring and setting Lancashire a target of 341 for victory from a minimum of ninety two overs.

Rain interrupted play once again, but when play finally resumed, wickets tumbled, with Brown 17, lbw to Hannon-Dalby, while fellow opener Hameed 20, fell to a Coleman catch, off Jones.

Brookes took two wickets, Reece and Clark, in consecutive overs while Thomason and Hannon-Dalby’s wickets then reduced Lancashire to 110-6 in the thirty seventh over, before an unbroken partnership of eighty seven for the seventh wicket between Smith 69* and Lilley 41* from thirty four overs prevented Warwickshire from completing their first win of the season with more than two hours lost to the weather on the final day.

Phil Britt

Commentator, photographer and journalist, Phil Britt provides coverage for the Bears on all fronts.